Every fitness success story has a common thread: a great deal of dedication, determination, and drive.
People who achieve their fitness goals want to give back. They are self-motivated, more aware of what their bodies require, take each day as it comes, and are not afraid of setbacks or stagnation.
Similarly, they approach fitness slowly and steadily, have a strong support system, a positive attitude, are highly determined, and are willing to completely change their lifestyle to be fit and healthy.
Below we’ve discussed several tips for increasing your fitness levels. The goal is to find an activity that you enjoy and practice it consistently to achieve the desired fitness level.
Excellent Ways to Improve Fitness
Walking is a low-impact activity requiring minimal equipment that you can do at any time of day. A 2007 research study of inactive women found that even a low level of exercise, about one and a half hours per week, improves their fitness level significantly compared to the non-exercising group.
There are plenty of health benefits of walking, including Increased cardiovascular and pulmonary fitness.
- Stronger bones
- Improved balance
- Increased muscle strength and endurance
- Adequate management of conditions such as high blood pressure, joints and muscular pain or stiffness, diabetes, and high cholesterol
- Lowered risk of stroke and heart disease
- Reduced body fat
Some tips to include walking into your daily routine
- Walking your dog (or even your neighbors)
- Walking to your local shops
- Getting down from public transport one stop earlier and walking to work or home
- Climbing the stairs instead of the lift whenever you can
#2. Playing sports
Sports help you to be both physically and mentally strong. Playing team sports can be enjoyable and beneficial to your health.
Sports and exercise release endorphins in the brain, making you feel happier and more relaxed. When you participate in team sports, you get to unwind while also improving your fitness. Playing outside provides fresh air to your lungs and body, promoting a good night’s sleep.
Here are some significant benefits of playing Sports
- Improve cardiovascular health
- Lowered risk of diabetes, and stroke
- Reduced Blood pressure
- Enhanced aerobic fitness
- Wards off osteoporosis
- Stress relief
- Reduces certain types of cancer
- Enhances sleep
- Reduces anxiety and depression, increases focus, and Improves self-esteem
- Helps control cholesterol
- Improved joint flexibility and range of motion
Stretching maintains muscle strength and flexibility. Your muscles become weak and unable to extend without proper stretching.
Sitting all day causes tight hamstrings in the back, making walking difficult. Contrarily, stretching regularly keeps the muscles flexible, long, and lean, improving balance and reducing falls.
The lower extremities, hamstrings, calves, hip flexors, and quadriceps in the front of the thighs are good places to stretch. Likewise, stretching the neck, shoulders, and lower back is beneficial. Try stretching at least three to four times per week if you find it challenging to stretch daily.
Stretching once a day will not result in excellent flexibility; it will take months or weeks to achieve the desired level of flexibility.
How to do a stretch
- Warm up your muscles with a 10-minute walk before stretching or stretch after an aerobic or weight-training workout.
- Hold the stretch for 30 seconds, or until you feel tension but not pain.
- When you are in pain, your muscles are more likely to be injured or damaged.
- Before beginning to stretch again, consult your doctor.
Benefits of stretching include
- Improved performance in physical activities
- Increased blood flow in muscles
- It helps joints achieve a full range of motion
- Reduced risk of injuries
- Increased effectiveness of muscles
#4. Mind-body exercises
The mind-body exercise combines mental focus, body movement, and controlled breathing to improve flexibility, balance strength, and overall health. Tai chi, qigong, and yoga are examples of mind-body exercises.
Tai Chi: This mind-body exercise is described as meditation or medication in motion. It is a low-impact, slow-motion exercise where you breathe deeply and naturally focus your attention on your bodily sensations.
- Taichi increases flexibility, balance, and agility.
- Improves muscle strength and definition
- Enhances aerobic capacity
- Increases energy and stamina
- Improves mood
- Lowers blood pressure
- Enhances the immune system
- Improves overall well-being
Qigong is an ancient Chinese exercise and healing technique involving meditation, controlled breathing, and hand movement exercises. Qigong increases flexibility, improves focus, lowers stress and anxiety, improves balance, and reduces your risk of certain chronic diseases.
Yoga focuses on bringing mind and body into harmony.
- It improves strength, balance, and flexibility
- It helps with back pain relief
- Reduces Arthritis symptoms
- Benefits heart health
- It gives better sleep
- Increases energy levels
- Brightens mood
- Helps manage stress
- Promote self-care
Cross-training is an exercise form that utilizes several training methods outside the athlete’s primary sport to develop a specific fitness component.
For instance, basketball players who participate in high-intensity spinning classes to increase sprint power are typical examples of cross-training. Similarly, runners use cycling to improve and maintain endurance, and football players lift weights to increase size and strength.
The many benefits of cross-training include the following.
- Cardiovascular endurance
- Trains muscle groups not used in the primary sport
- Allows recovery from the primary sport
- Increases mental engagement
- Reduces the risk of injury
- Boosts mental strength
- Posture coordination
- Improve fitness
Corporate Sports offer solutions for cultivating healthy lifestyle habits and increasing productivity. To learn more about living a healthy lifestyle, please get in touch with our wellness experts or visit our Corporate Sports website.